- 1/2 c citron (optional)
- 1/2 c chocolate chips
- 1/2 c chopped nuts
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 lbs. ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 c flour
- Blend first 4 ingredients and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Blend with your fingertips as you would a pie crust.
- Add 2 tablespoons cold water and 2 tablespoons of vinegar. This makes a hard dough.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Roll dough to 1/2 inch and cut into 4×5-inch rectangles. Roll dough around tubes, 1 inch diameter.
- Fry at 360 degrees until brown. Drain; cool.
- Beat ricotta, vanilla, sugar until smooth, then add chocolate chips and citron. Chill.
- Fill crusts at both ends with filling.