The first line of a book is a very important hint about the story you’re about to read. Usually you can tell from the first line if you’ll like the book you’re about to sink your teeth into. Take this fun test to see if you can identify these popular books from their first line.
1. Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the last people you’d expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious, because they just didn’t hold with such nonsense.
A) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
B) The Giving Tree
C) The Hunger Games
D) The Borrowers
2. All children, except one, grow up.
A) Winnie the Pooh
C) Peter Pan
3. There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.
A) Al Capone Does My Shirts
B) The Tale of Despereaux
C) Diary of a Wimpy Kid
4. The flyer in my hand said it was one-week student program in London – as in the most exciting city in Europe. I needed something exciting, anything, other than what was called “my life.”
A) Trading Faces
B) Lost In London
C) Stealing Popular
D) Nice and Mean
5. These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr. Bucket.
A) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
B) The Secret Garden
C) The Black Beauty
D) Ballet Shoes
6. It was an afternoon in late September. In the pleasant city of Stillwater, Mr. Popper, the house painter, was going home from work.”
A) The Ugly Duckling
B) Mr. Popper’s Penguins
C) Anne of Green Gables
D) Lord of the Flies
7. Question: What do you get when you mix two girls hungry for cash with a cleaning project?
A) Front Page Face Off
B) Just Add Magic
C) The Hot List
D) Odd Girl In
8. The sun did not shine, it was too wet to play, so we sat in the house all that cold, cold wet day.
A) The Cat in the Hat
B) One Fish Two Fish
C) Horton Hears a Who
D) The Grinch
9. Claudia knew that she could never pull off the old-fashioned kind of running away.
A) Little Women
B) Where the Wild Things Are
C) The Tiger Who Came to Tea
D) From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
10. In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines lived twelve little girls in two straight lines.
C) Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
D) The Little Princess
11. Miss Cackle’s Academy for Witches stood at the top of a high mountain surrounded by a pine forest.
A) Treasure Island
B) The Worst Witch
C) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
D) The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
12. This is George. He lived in Africa.
B) Curious George
C) The Little Engine That Could
Answer Key: 1A, 2C, 3D, 4B, 5A, 6B, 7B, 8A, 9D, 10A, 11B, 12B